Friday, September 13, 2019

DFI 8, youtube, sites, google

Last DFI then the big google exam, I will be pretty sad to be back at school on Fridays but at least I have a ton of new stuff to try out on the kids. Young Matt Goodwin was our guest tutor today - he was telling us a story about how much younger he used to look but he still looked younger than most of the year thirteens at GBHS.

I logged into this blog today for the first time since last week and realised that I had somehow managed to put in some double ups of ridiculously big graphs so the lesson there is double check the published work.

This week we looked at youtube, which I use a lot - both professionally and personally. TBH it seems like there is a lack of consistent functionality which made doing a tutorial hard but I haven't really ever had any problems using it so I won't be worrying about that. We had some fun using the polyline tool on google draw to make some self portraits which is one of those bizarre activities where you can vortex into losing hours trying to perfect the look. I tried this with the students a few weeks ago and they would have happily done it for the rest of the term. We also had a session on slides - this is a tool that seems to be used a lot by the Manaikalani crew, and I see why. It is a really versatile option and works well with sites, we also learned how to make an animation using slides which was pretty fun and you can check out what I made below. There is some pretty funny stuff out there if you check out stickman gifs - which my ten year old introduced me too!!









4 comments:

  1. I'm loving the stickman gif but I think you should have included your self portrait attempts even though it made you look like Niki Lauda after his accident or the Phantom of the opera. I'll also be sad to be back at work on Fridays and have enjoyed the DFI course

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Robbie,
    great animation! Would liked to have seen your portrait too. And yes - kids will do vector drawings forever. It does have a lot of application and I use it to show learners how creative they can be in creating their own original images and not to rely on images made by others.
    See you next week
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great animation Robbie, bit of a rough end for the stickman. I too will be feeling sad leaving behind the DFI. We've been lucky to have a great group to learn along side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How good is that polyline tool aye! I think there's a consensus, pretty stink we've come to the end.

    ReplyDelete