Tuesday, July 30, 2019

DFI ONE

My first ever blog post yeehaa- the DFI was pretty fast paced but by large most of it was familiar enough that the new stuff was digestible. Surprised there isn't more secondary teachers as I think the stuff we are learning is so valuable for teachers since the students will start to come to us with an ever greater degree of digital fluency.

Interesting to find out about the history of Manaiakalani and how it all started especially the fact that the original kaupapa never had any huge leanings towards technology.

I know there are a ton of new tricks and tips on the google suite and we covered quite a few new ones today that I never knew about, including some basic stuff like keeping our drives organised. I recently had a conversation with a colleague who compared her drive to a hoarders house in which you can no longer open the doors and there might even be the odd dead body in there it is so disorganised.

Luckily I was introduced to Marie Condo and now I know about making everything I own something that fills me with joy or out it goes. Willie and I like our avatars, Willie has the Knight King and mine is my son in full Buzz Lightyear regalia when he went through that stage. They are probably not the most professional of choices so we may have to find some middle ground between joy and professionalism there.

You will have to imagine my poster here as I can't seem to print screen it on the new laptop - which is pretty poor for a someone doing a digital fluency course but I will get there. figured it out, thanks Cheryl.






4 comments:

  1. Good poster bro - and yeah, your avatar should bring you joy and be some kind of representation of you. I vote for joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robbie, your colleague who compared her Drive to a hoarders house has well articulated a lot of what we see when working with teachers (I am sure other adults working in cloud based environments also). I don't know how they find anything, and relying on the power of Google Search to surface elusive Docs does not bring me joy!
    Thank you for the feedback that this could be of value to more secondary teachers. I think you may be surprised when we do the devices day and show you what the year 1-3 kids are achieving with their iPads. These youngsters will arrive at college quite frustrated if their teachers do not understand how digitally fluent they are, and if the strands of the Dig Tech curriculum are well taught in primary years they will be challenging to some teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Dorothy, I don't know if secondary teachers know whats going to hit them.

      Delete
  3. Apologies there aren't more secondary teachers, however you guys are representing WELL, it's a great insight.

    Knight King + Buzz Light year for the win.

    Keep the tips and tricks coming, us primary teachers appreciate it! Glad there's a mutual focus on docs etc that bring joy... out with the clutter.

    ReplyDelete